Tuesday, June 2, 2009

FROM THE COLLECTION: "YOURS TRULY, JONNIE"


I know nothing about this sideshow performer other than the name Jonnie. I had been collecting real photo postcards of sideshow acts for a few years when I ran across this one. And to be honest, I really reconsidered the hobby when I found this card. The expression on Jonnie's face reminded me of the stories I had read about several sideshow performers and how they were exploited by their managers, often treated like slaves. In the end, I decided to buy the photo after a few hours of deliberation, knowing how scarce these photos are and that I may never see it again in my lifetime.

2 comments:

Keith said...

It does make you wonder what sort of life Jonnie and others lived. I've heard quite a few stories over the years about the way they were treated and so forth.

Keith said...

From his expression it looks like he's had a hard life at an early age.

Related Posts with Thumbnails