Sunday, April 26, 2009

JUST LISTEN: IDA MARIA (PT. 1)


Norwegian rock star Ida (eee-da) Maria learned to play guitar at age 14 and began to make up her own chords and songs. She rose to fame after winning two national competitions in 2007. Later that year, two of her singles "Oh My God" and "Stella" were played regularly on the Norwegian national radio station.

Her latest single, "I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked" was a British Top 40 hit, prompting comparisons to Joan Jett and Chrissie Hynde.


"I hoped that song was going to be for the alternative kids while I wrote it," she says of "Naked." I wanted to see how catchy I could make all the songs. I hadn't really grown up on anything but rock music, so I tried to see if I could do that." About the song's unusual lyric, Ida says: "It's very much a shout-out to all those who objectify women. I wanted to turn it around and make the male body an object. I think I succeeded and I'm very happy about this."

Setting her sights on America, Ida Maria has launched a US tour and plans to take the country by storm.


"This is gonna be a helluva fantastic journey," she enthuses. "And it's already started out so well, I can't see how it could go wrong. I just wanna play, have a good time and see this country."

You can learn more about Ida Maria on her Island Records website and buy her music here.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails