Tuesday, April 21, 2009

FROM THE COLLECTION: UNKNOWN CONTORTIONIST


When I first started this blog, I would feature an item from my personal collection of vintage circus photos and postcards. I did a few posts, featuring "The Armless Venus" - Frances O'Connor, a circus cowboy doing rope tricks and a girlie show. Eventually I stopped, thinking there was very little interest in the items.

But I've decided to give it another go, showcasing a different real photo postcard, photograph or vintage item once a week. So welcome to the all new weekly feature, From The Collection, my own little Show-and-Tell.

This real photo postcard of an unknown contortionist is my latest addition to the collection. The back of the postcard is postally unused with no writing on the back. I believe it's from around 1910.

At one time, contortionists could only be seen in circuses or fairs but they soon became regular performers in nightclubs, vaudeville and television variety shows.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails