Friday, April 10, 2009

WHERE WOLF? THERE WOLF!


Werewolves have always been my favorite monster and artist Ryan Estrada likes them too. His online comic, The Kind You Don't Bring Home to Mother is a werewolf comic without werewolves.

"I had an ill-fated romance in India a few years back. I was on a plane to Mumbai to pick up my girlfriend, who had decided to travel the world with me, despite her parent’s protests that she was seeing a foreigner.

It was a long flight, and I was nervous, excited, and scared. So I decided to draw a comic just to pass the time. I gave myself a completely random jumping off point: to make a werewolf comic without a werewolf in it.

But with all that was on my mind, the comic subconsciously became about a relationship, with lycanthropy basically being a metaphor for cultural differences, and the characters came to represent where I was in my relationship.

Though the girl dumped me shortly after I got off the plane, the comic stuck with me."

This is funny stuff. Estrada also does art for Neatorama (where I first found out about his comic), a great blog I highly recommend.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails